BNE Terminal Upgrades
BNE's International Terminal redevelopment is set for a $45 million transformation making it one of the most ambitious projects since the terminal first opened in 1995.The terminal will establish a global benchmark for design and create a truly unique gateway to Queensland. It will feature a distinctly Brisbane design and additional space to showcase local retailers. We want the terminal to have a real sense of the destination and community they serve. This terminal will authentically reflect the character of Brisbane and the spirit of Queensland, while providing the very best hello and goodbye for travellers.
What will contribute to creating a 'Uniquely Brisbane' space?
- A new themed departures lounge which incorporates a sense of place that is uniquely Brisbane
- An arrivals area that incorporates a vibrant artwork into the architectureITB Redevelopment Fact Sheet (WEB).pdf
- An orientation zone that includes a 'goodbye wall' and a text-based artwork
- Many more features, including relaxation, work and play areas blended into an upgraded retail and dining environment.
Construction is scheduled to begin February 2014 with completion in mid 2015. The redevelopment will be completed in stages to ensure day-to-day operations continue as usual.
What will the terminal look like?
Arkhefield Architects | Arkhefield is a national award winning architectural and interior design practise. They have delivered some of Queensland's most notable retail, commercial and public architecture in recent years including Brisbane's landmarks The Barracks, River Quay and Stokehouse in Southbank. For more information on Arkhefield click here
Richards & Spence Architects | Richards & Spence, specialises in robust solutions to retail, restuarant and commercial developments. Recent examples of their work include the popular 19 James Street retail precinct & 32 Burnett Lane, Survey & Co. restaurant and laneway refurbishment in Brisbane CBD. For more information on Richards & Spense click here.
Wink Creative | Wink creative was founded in 1998 by global media and branding identity Tyler Brûlé. Tyler's unique experience with global aviation and transport hubs, comprehensive understanding of international travel market and particular interest in importance of form and function in design has assisted with the blueprint for the terminal. For more information on Wink Creative click here
Want to know more?
BNE Development Strategy
Brisbane Airport has recently delivered multiple upgrades in and around the Domestic Terminal, including new access roads and elevated Skywalk and new multi-level car parking and car rental areas.In the coming years many more upgrades will be delivered to ensure our terminals can:
- provide increased capacity to meet growing demand
- in partnership with our airline and agency partners, provide efficient check in, baggage movement, boarding and security facilities
- provide positive experiences for all passengers
- provide a strong sense of Brisbane through locally inspired developments.
It is worth noting that Brisbane Airport Corporation does not control the Virgin, Qantas and Qantas Link areas within the Brisbane Domestic Terminal. These areas are under the control of these airlines and they manage any internal redevelopments within this space.