Destination Brisbane Airport! Record Christmas crowds expected.
19 December 2011
Travellers to Brisbane Airport’s Domestic Terminal this holiday season should plan ahead and allow extra time to get to, and through, the airport.
Brisbane Airport Corporation (BAC) spokesperson Leonie Vandeven said with more than 100,000 people expected through the Domestic Terminal on 23-24 December alone, that travellers should take into account the increased traffic volumes and expect congestion at the airport.
“Just like shopping malls and supermarkets we’re expecting large crowds through our facilities this Christmas/New Year as people jet off for holidays or come to collect friends and relatives from the airport.
“With this in mind, BAC is putting into place a number of strategies including additional ground staff to manage traffic flow and mitigate the impacts of ongoing construction on passengers,” Ms Vandeven said.
To assist travellers, Brisbane Airport has also compiled some tips to get passengers swiftly to and through the airport these holidays:
- Check-in online before you fly and allow extra time to get to the airport and through the security screening process.
- Book parking online to reserve a space and save time and money.
- Avoid traffic congestion by meeting or farewelling passengers at Airport Village (near DFO) where they can catch the FREE T-Bus* to and from the terminals.
- Park at the International Terminal and catch the FREE T-Bus* to the Domestic Terminal to avoid traffic congestion while construction works are underway - just show the bus driver your parking ticket for complimentary travel. Not only will you avoid the traffic, you’ll save money as the International Terminal parking rates are $10 cheaper the first day. A special rate of $99 for seven days is also available for those staying longer.
- Before picking up passengers, check flight details online at www.bne.com.au to avoid delays.
- Park at Airport Village (near the DFO) and have a coffee or do some shopping while you wait to collect arriving passengers from the terminals.
- Consider dropping off or collecting passengers in one of the two temporary PARKSHORT car parks near the Domestic Terminal rather than heading for the heavily congested terminal roads. It’s just $2 for the first 15 minutes.
- Wear appropriate clothes to avoid delays at security points and check your baggage for prohibited items before arrival.
- Avoid excess baggage. Travelling light saves time at check-in and at your destination.
* The T-Bus operates daily with trips every 20 min (10 mins during peak period), between the Domestic and International Terminals and Airport Village. For details please view the bus timetables online at www.bne.com.au, simply search ‘T-Bus’. The T-Bus service is also free when travelling between Airport Village and either of the terminals. When travelling between the Domestic and International Terminals the T-Bus service is free only when passengers show a valid parking ticket from the International Terminal car park.
Brisbane Airport looks forward to opening 5000 new spaces in the new state of the art multi-level car park early in the New Year along with additional roads at the terminal front and a covered ‘skywalk’ so passengers do not have to cross in front of traffic.
“Once complete, close to Easter, the new multi-level car park, road network and ‘skywalk’ will make a huge improvement in traffic circulation around the airport, however, until that time, people can expect congestion on the roads, particularly at peak times over the holidays,” Ms Vandeven said.